In recent years, the demand for medical lab assistants and other health specialists has significantly risen which surged the healthcare industry,
If you are thinking to walk on the career path leading towards wearing a white coat, roaming around health facilities, interacting with professionals and collecting blood samples of patients, then embrace yourself for the rewarding yet challenging career of MLA!
However, before starting the career, it is important to be aware of what you are getting yourself into. For this purpose, we have written this article and conducted critical analysis in order to answer your doubt and queries relating to ‘is medical lab assistant a good career?’
So, let’s get started!
Job responsibilities of a medical lab assistant:
A medical laboratory assistant is responsible for several roles such as:
- Collecting blood, urine and other kinds of samples
- Organizing the collected specimen
- Ensuring accuracy of patient records
- Carrying out diagnostic tests
- Quality Assurance
- Sterilizing equipment
- Helping scientists with experiments
Medical Lab Assistant Job Outlook and Demand:
Career growth opportunities in medical lab assisting is promising. As the population ages, the need for health professionals and demand for healthcare surges high.
According to job bank of Canada, for Medical laboratory technologists & Medical laboratory technician and pathologists’ assistants, over the period 2022-2031, new job openings (arising from expansion demand and replacement demand) are expected to total 25,600.
Therefore, the rise in demand predicts a strong career stability in the field of medical laboratory assistance.
The necessary education and training for medical lab assistants include:
- High School Diploma
- Medical Laboratory Technologist Program
- Job Training
- Pursue Bachelor’s in MLA
- MLA certification
- Post-secondary programs
Medical laboratory assistants can find job opportunities in various healthcare facilities such as:
- Research Institutions
Salary and Compensation:
The medical laboratory assistants earn a reasonable income in Canada along with several benefits and compensation packages.
According to Talent, the average salary potential for medical laboratory assistants t in Canada is $47,959 per year or $24.59 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $40,784 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $61,396 per year.
The average earnings for medical lab assistants in Canada are most likely to be affected due to the following factors:
- Employment Type (Private or Public)
- Economic Conditions
Few of the compensation for medical laboratory aides in Canada include:
- Healthcare Benefits
- Retirement Plans
- Paid Leaves
- Training Opportunities
- Career Stability
- Union benefits in terms of negotiation
- Over-time pay
- Performance Bonus
Pros and cons of becoming a medical lab assistant:
Advantages of a Career as a Medical Lab Assistant:
- Job Stability
- High demand in present and future
- Growth Potential
- Compensation Packages
- High Salary
- Less educational requirements
Challenges of a Career as a Medical Lab Assistant:
- Pressure of accuracy assurance
- Repetitive Tasks
- Over-time shifts
- Demands continuous learning
- Safety concerns
However, the benefits of a career as a medical lab assistants are far more valid than the challenges!
Specializations within Medical Lab Assisting
A career in medical laboratory assistance requires continuous learning. The best way to boost your growth potential and salary package, it is advised to specialize. In this section, we have mentioned various specialization opportunities within medical lab assisting. So, let’s get started!
Specializations within Medical Lab Assisting:
- Specialization in clinical lab Assistant: Focuses on conducting diagnostic tests and sample collection related tasks
- Phlebotomist: Strengthens patient dealing skills
- Histo-technician: Specialize in tissue sample preparation
Benefits of Specialization:
- High Demand
- Higher Salary
- New career opportunities
- Sense of self fulfillment
In summary, the career of medical lab assistance has both its pros and cons however the challenges are less relevant as compared to the benefits and perks offered in the field. To work as a medical lab assistant requires less educational requirements and offers a promising job outlook along with a reasonable pay.
So, if you are interested in working as a medical lab assistant, the answer lies in your personal opinion, choice, strength and interest.
Overall, it is safe to say that medical lab assistance job is a good choice.
I hope this article answered your question “Is medical lab assistant a good career?”
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How long does it take to become a certified medical lab assistant?
- Are there opportunities for advancement in this career?
- Is it necessary to work in a hospital as a medical lab assistant, or are there other options?
- What skills are essential for success as a medical lab assistant?
- What is the future of medical lab assisting in terms of technological advancements?