Medical office assistants play a crucial role in the healthcare industry by supporting medical professionals and ensuring that patients receive quality care.
One of the most common questions people have when considering a career as a medical office assistant is, “How much does a medical office assistant make?” Well, it’s an important question to ask, as salary is a key factor in deciding whether a career is the right fit.
According to the Job bank government of Canada, ‘the employment outlook will be good for Medical administrative assistants (NOC 1243) in Ontario for the 2022-2024 period.’
Therefore, in this blog, we’ll explore the average salary for medical office assistants in different regions of the world, factors that can impact their earnings, and reasons why choosing a career as a medical office assistant can be a rewarding and lucrative choice. So, stay in the loop!
What is a medical office assistant?
A medical office assistant is a healthcare professional who performs administrative and clinical tasks such as scheduling appointments, managing patient record and files, answering phone calls while simultaneously measuring vital signs, preparing patients for examinations, assisting with medical procedures, and providing basic patient education to support the operations of a medical facility, such as a doctor’s office, clinic, or hospital. Medical office assistants work closely with other healthcare professionals, including doctors, nurses, and medical technicians, to ensure that patients receive the best possible care.
How much does a medical office assistant make?
The salary of a medical office assistant in Canada can vary depending on several factors, including location, experience, education, and the specific job duties.
However, according to data from Talent.com, the average annual salary for medical office assistant in Canada is $38,026 which equates to an hourly wage of approximately $19.50 CAD. Entry-level positions start at $32,175 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $47,055 per year.
What is the highest hourly pay for medical assistant?
According to Indeed, the following cities offer the highest hourly pay for medical assistant;
- Hamilton, ON $27.02 per hour
- Kitchener, ON $22.06 per hour
- Vancouver, BC $21.40 per hour
- Calgary, AB $20.96 per hour
- Etobicoke, ON $20.26 per hour
- Winnipeg, MB $19.23 per hour
- Toronto, ON $18.73 per hour
- Mississauga, ON $18.71 per hour
- Brampton, ON $18.18 per hour
Therefore, $27.02 is the highest hourly pay for medical assistant in Canada.
Which medical assistant gets paid the most?
Medical Laboratory Technologists (MLTs) have the highest salaries among medical assistants in Canada with an annual salary of approximately $72,800.
Other types of medical assistants in Canada who can earn relatively high salaries include:
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Respiratory Therapists:
- Cardiovascular Technologists
What are Top 5 Best Paying Related Medical Office Assistant Jobs in Canada?
Higher paying medical office assistant jobs may offer more career advancement opportunities and benefits, which can lead to a more fulfilling career. For this very purpose, we have concluded the best job positions and companies offering high salaries for the medical office assistant job.
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Records Clerk
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Office Assistant Instructor
- Health Records Technician
Top Best Paying Companies:
- University of British Columbia
- Somerset West Community Health Centre
- Sandy Hill Community Health Centre
- Vancouver Coastal Health
- Saskatchewan Health Authority
Why choosing a career as a medical office assistant can be a rewarding?
Certainly, a career as a medical office assistant can be rewarding in several ways, including:
- Helping patients: Medical office assistants are often the first point of contact for patients, and they play an essential role in ensuring that patients feel welcomed and cared for.
- Working in a challenging and dynamic environment: Medical offices can be fast-paced and ever-changing, which can provide an exciting and challenging work environment.
- Opportunity for growth: With experience and education, medical office assistants can advance to higher-paying positions or specialize in specific areas of healthcare.
- Flexibility: Medical offices are often open during regular business hours, which can provide medical office assistants with a consistent work schedule and work-life balance.
- Making a difference in the healthcare industry: By supporting medical professionals, medical office assistants contribute to improving the overall quality of care for patients.
Therefore, it can be concluded that choosing a career as a medical office assistant can be a rewarding choice as it provides many benefits beyond just a paycheck.
By helping patients, working in a challenging and dynamic environment, having opportunities for growth, enjoying flexibility, and making a difference in the healthcare industry, medical office assistants can have a fulfilling and meaningful career.
So, if you are considering a career as a medical office assistant, it’s essential to research job opportunities in Canada as mentioned in our article above, and evaluate your interests, skills, and qualifications to find a job that is the right fit for you and helps you earn as much as you desire to make.